The The park of the Madonie was established in 1989 and includes 15 common of the province of Palermo.
635 m of height, stands the town of Caltavuturo, where is damage likely to arab origins.
The name, in fact, derives from the Arabic word Qal'at Abī l-Thawr (stronghold of Abu Thawr), a leader of muslim who insignorì.
The territory has undergone various dominations: the first property of the family of Conte Ruggero, later of the swabians, and finally it was granted to Ventimiglia; the different families, however, have lived up to the SIXTEENTH century.
The original nucleus was the ledge of the Terravecchiabut from the 1550s, the settlements are established also outside it.
For The tourist there are many places of natural interest, but also folk traditions and culinary.
To visit, first of all, the Castle of Terravecchia, the church of the Madrice, the Gorges Gazzara, the fortress of the Terravecchia, the Rocca di Sciara, “we”, the ancient settlement of shepherds, and the Church of casale.
Rugged rock walls, fields, bright colours and the blue sea of Cefalù offer many surprises.
Celebrates mainly: the Patron saint, Maria S. S. del Soccorso, S. Calogero.
The main events: the Fungus Ferla Fest, the White Night and the festival of folklore.
In particular, the beloved festival dedicated to the fungi, leads to the discovery of flavors, the symbol of the territory of madonie and of the genuine products of the woods.
The History of Castelbuono is particularly related to that of the Ventimiglia, the Lords of the County of Geraci, who, at the beginning of 1300, they built a castle on the hill overlooking the ancient byzantine hamlet of “Ypsigro”.
The construction of the Castle has contributed to the growth of the territory, considered the city's most lively in the vast heritage of Ventimiglia.
The territory Castelbuonese, charming by the naturalistic point of view, it is also full of memories of the Greek, roman, arab and byzantine.
Its location, just a few km from the sea, has made it one of the most popular tourist destinations for nature lovers and the holiday food and wine.
To visit: the Castle of Ventimiglia, the municipal museum, the Church “Matrice vecchia”, the Church of S. Francesco, the Church, “Matrix new”, the fountain of Venus Ciprea. Guests can enjoy nature trails.
In the FIFTEENTH century, the court welcomes artists of different cultures and remarkable prestige. Outside and inside walls are born churches and monasteries that will change the physiognomy of the town, ever closer to a capital city. To contribute to the changes and the expansion of Castelbuono also the masters of lombardy and tuscany, and the other characters, particularly prominent as the Serpotta who worked on the chapel of St. Anna.
Events not to miss: Ypsigrock, the international festival of music indie and rock.
Castellana Sicula is 765 m of altitude and is a the territory prosperous and full of water.
Its location, climate and its intrinsic characteristics have attracted, over the centuries, farmers all over the territory of madonie.
The first settlement dates back to the 1700's and is built in the plain formed by the three Estates, Castellana, Fana, Maimone, and crossed four Lanes and the Royal.
The name of the town should be, probably, to the Duke of Ferrandina, the feudal lord of the place, that after the marriage with Gemma, the noble Spanish family of the Castellana, paid tribute to his wife by calling the town of “Castellana Sicula”.
To visit: the roman Villa of the contrada Mason, the Church of San Francesco di Paola, the Church of our Lady of the Chain, the Shrine of our Lady of the High.
To hit primarily the visitors are the murals created by artists from all over the world.
Throughout the territory you happen to archaeological areas, places of interest ethno-anthropological with settlements, pastoral, water mills, trails, and nature trails. The whole area is easily explored on foot, horseback, or in mountain bike.
Cefalù is a picture painted by the colors of the sea and the facade of the beautiful Cathedralimpressive, but at the same time embraces it sinuously the entire historic centre.
Famous destination of the The Grand Tour of artists and nobles all over Europe, is a city that tells the story, in its structure and in its traditions, the peoples they have dominated.
Traces of the road transport system of the hellenistic-roman are spread a little’ everywhere. But visible are also traces left from the Roman Empire of the West, by the Vandals and the Goths, and, again, from the Empire of the East, Arabs and Normans have left significant references in the uses and customs, but also in the monuments. A few, however, are the traces left by the Byzantines.
The Great Count Roger in 1063 he obtained possession of the City, and his son, Roger II, he returned to Cefalu to Christianity, founding, first, the Church of S. Giorgioe, then, the Basilica Cathedral, the absolute symbol of the territory.
Also worth a visit is the Cathedral with the adjoining cloister, the Museum and the library Mandralisca, the medieval Wash-house, the Fortress and the temple of Diana and the Sanctuary of Maria SS. Of Gibilmanna.
Collesano is a norman town, founded by King Roger between 1130 and 1140.
The origin of the village of Collesano is to be sought, however, on the mountain overlooking to the west the country: the Mountain of Gold, in which there are still considerable remains of the old arab city, and that represents, still today, the town of madonie.
In the Norman period, Golisano (Collesano) became an important feudal centre, thanks to the urban development started since the first settlement: Bagherino (where is now located the castle).
In the THIRTEENTH century, following the war of the sicilian Vespers, and of several other passages of the property, and the town was granted to the family in Syracuse, and then go to the county of the Ventimiglia and from there, to the family of Centelles, one of the many aristocratic families of Spanish in Sicily.
But it is between the ‘500 and ‘700, with the command, families Cardona, Moncada and Aragon, that the country has experienced a remarkable economic, demographic and urban development. In this period Collesano was enriched with numerous monuments and works of art, and has developed the ceramics industry, for which it is known today.
To visit: the medieval Castle, the Basilica of San Pietro, Church of Santa Maria in the Old town, archaeological site, environmental of the Golden Mountain.
Very important are the celebrations in honor of Maria SS dei Miracoli.
The small town of remarkable beauty, is entered in the list of the most beautiful Villages of Italy.
From the mountains geracesi flows a water quality and that represents a remarkable economic resource for the town.
The municipality is rich in traditions, folklore and events dedicated to the tradition, in particular, those in honour of the Holy Bartolo and James, and those dedicated to the Annunciation and to the Crucified one.
Its territory has memories that bring us back up to the prehistoric times, and numerous exhibits tell the story of the ancient age and medieval age.
See, in particular, the churches dedicated to st. Stephen, St. Anne and St. james, and, still, Santa Maria Maggiore. Of particular beauty are the castle and the “Bevaio” of the Trinity.
Gratteri is a small municipality that can boast, however, a prime location on the tyrrhenian coast.
A concentrated time in a medieval old town protected by Walls and in which stood the Castle. Outside these settlements the most recent have given life to the city with the appearance similar to that of today.
Some historical findings make us think of the territory as a place of crossroads and trading among the settlements in the mountains and on the adjacent territories.
Several place names of the town and historical reconstructions back to the domination of the arabs. Probably, the first settlement dates back to the IX century, following the construction of a the presidium of muslim control of the territory.
A particular moment of growth came with the arrival of the Normans and Ruggero d'altavilla; built the Abbeys of St. Anastasia and St. George and the churches of Sant'elia, Sant Icono and San Nicolò.
Among the many places to visit, the Old matrix is, without a doubt, a beautiful place.
The Abbey of Sant'anastasia, which was abandoned by the benedictine monks in 1851, and belonging, today, to the territory Castelbuonese was, at one time, one of the most prestigious places of Gratteri.
Today the Abbey is a wonderful Relais and home to a bustling wine cellar.
The Municipality of Isnello, in spite of the numerous hypotheses on its origin, takes its name from the river Isnello that, incunenandosi in a narrow canyon, offers suggestive views.
The territory is characterized by the remarkable beauty of the landscape and, in particular, from caves full of stalactites and stalagmites in the cave.
To the government of the territory, over the centuries, have alternated numerous families which led to the exasperation of the citizens of isnello, the protagonists of an important historical event.
In 1788 the citizens isnellesi have bought back the territories of the county, dissolving the bonds of the authority, baron.
The territory is characterized by a bushy, has woodyin particular, the monumental specimens of oaks.
Today, the town, is the site of an important Astronomical Observatory, the WFP, Astronomical park of the Madoniein continuous development, thanks to its extraordinary geographical position.
A small city characterized by a history of florida, which brings us back to the age old, is today, a setting of remarkable scenic beauty, rich in folklore, art, and culture.
With the arrival of the Normans and of Roger, count of Altavilla, the town has taken on the appearance of today with the castle, towers, ramparts and churches.
To See: the Church of Saints Peter and Paul, and two beautiful bell towers, the Church of Santa Maria di Loreto, Piazza del Popolo and the Villa Sgadari with his garden.
Do not miss the feast dedicated to St. Peter and Paul, who she sees carrying on the shoulders of the two confraternities, about 15 statues of saints.
To accompany the procession of the “tamburinari and stinnardiri supranisi“.
On the occasion of the feast, portrays the celebration of a marriage to a noble of the ‘700.
The territory of Petralia Sottana develops in a slope between 900 and 1100 metres altitude, in a privileged position on the river Himera.
The town of particular naturalistic interest, is divided today into seven different fractions.
Each of these has distinctive architectural features and landscapes.
Among these, Casalethe old jewish quarter, Pusterna, the oldest area around the Castle, Providenceand , the medieval area with narrow streets that come up to the Mother Church.
Note fraction, especially for the presence of the only ski station of the Western Sicily, is Battle Plan, which places you in the heart of the Madonie and is surrounded by an ancient beech forest.
There are traces of settlements dating back to neolithic times, up to the conquest by the Arabs, who transformed it into a military fortress.
The Castle was built for the will of the Normans, who conquered Petralia in 1602.
In 1258, which, for the first time, you make the distinction between Petralia Soprane and Petralia Sottana, a time, probably, a single territory.
The Former Convent of the Friars Minor Reformed is just one of the beautiful structures that characterize Petralia Sottana. To see: the Mother church, the Church of St. Francis of Assisi.
The events include folk and religious should be reported: the Chestnut festival, the ballo della Cordella, and the rites of the Holy Week.
The municipalities of the Madonie is one of the richest in history.
Numerous archaeological finds estimate the presence of colonies already by the sixth century. a.C. several are also finds from the punic.
A hellenistic necropolis was discovered in the ’80s. Already the name is full of meanings that takes us back to the Greek origin of the town: Polizzi refers to the Greek name Polis.
Polizzi has always been a city-owned and his character independent he has made it stand out among the other towns of sicily. There are numerous privileges granted to its inhabitants that have welcomed, over the centuries, kings, emperors, noble families.
Polizzi Generosa was the first country to have electric light, in 1901, emerging compared to cities much larger.
Like other towns of the Madonie Park, Polizzi has a rich variety of flora and fauna. Within its territory is cultivated to the famous bean baddafrom the round shape and ivory color with pink stripes.
There are many Churches worth visiting: the Church of the Carmine, the Badia Nuova, Badia Vecchia, the Mother Church, the Church of St. Ursula, Church of San Nicolo De Franchis; interesting visits to the Toy Museum, the Old, the Civic Archaeological Museum, the Museo Ambientalistico Madonita.
Pollina is known mainly for the cultivation of frassineti and the related production of Manna. This extraordinary sap, extracted with an incision on the trunk of the tree, is used in the food industry and the pharmaceutical industry.
Its extraction, is considered almost an art, has been preserved, among all the Italian municipalities, and only in the territory of Pollina.
Equally well known is the tourist vocation of the territory, in particular in the area of finale di Pollina, known for its blue sea and clean.
Pollinaè also rich in traditions and artistic monuments. Among these: the Church of SS. Giovanni e Paolo, which houses works of art of sicily dating back to ‘400 and ‘500, the Church of San Giuliano, dedicated to the Patron Saint, the tower Maurolico, a time observatory, part of the defensive structure of the Castle of Pollina.
The teatro della Rosa, built in the years ’70, is one of the symbols of the Manure and was totally built in stone following the natural slopes of the area.
SAN MAURO CASTELVERDE
Located more than 1000 m of height, is the only municipality in Italy to have, despite the altitude, its coastline.
Its territory, in a privileged location on the tyrrhenian sea, is embraced by two chains of mountains, the Madonie and the Nebrodi mountains.
Port the full name since 1862, from the time of the unification of Italy, in spite of its name “Santo Mauro” was known already in the norman period.
Controversial is the history linked to the Castle of San Mauro Castelverde, which you do not yet know the exact origin and of which not remains some trace.
The Churches, from different sources, are of considerable interest, but all of the territory reveals interesting surprises.
The Gorges of Tiberio are one of the most popular destinations thanks to its beautiful corners, the expanses of water and lush nature. Ancient villages, caves and bevai, enchant hikers and the religious parties, in particular those related to Easter, move and involve the faithful from all over Sicily.
The History and features of Scillato are indissolubly linked to the abundant the sources of water.
Mills, in fact, have designed the structure of the village which is situated at the foot of the Mount Deer, Mount Fanusi and the Clash of Castellazzo.
Likely colony of Greek origin, Scillato, however, it is known to be passed, over the centuries, from the hands of several lordships that if the contending for its valuable sources.
Mills, today there is little trace, but you are trying to start a recovery path for the exploitation of the latter and of the old ways of the Water.
The Mother Church is one of the few of considerable interest, as it preserves, inside, a the statue of the virgin signed by the gagini school.
Vineyards and a wide variety of fruit trees and enrich the land, particularly fertile land suitable for the culture of products that are, today, deill'list of Traditional Food products of the Region of Sicily (PAT).
Sclafani Bagni, the municipality less populated of the Province of Palermo.
Its sources do not have data yet for sure, but you think of Sclafani Bagni as a natural military stronghold.
The area was characterized by scattered farmhouses, small agglomerates characterized by settlements without defensive walls, and inhabited by a few dozen people.
With Matthew Sclafanicount of Adernò, the town has changed its appearance: it was resuming the construction of the castle, built the walls, the town began to grow around the bastion.
Over the years, have taken on a fundamental role, and the controversial brotherhoods; religious groups related to the Churches of San Giacomo and San Filippo, you are employed also in the maintenance of the two facilities.